Chicken Pulihora is a little different from regular pulihora, but the combination of spicy chicken, tangy tamarind and rice tastes amazing. This is one of those recipes I like to make when I want something simple, spicy and filling.
Ingredients
- 500g chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2–3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt as needed
- Small lemon-sized tamarind
- 2 tbsp oil
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
For tempering:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 2 dry red chillies
- A pinch of hing
- Few curry leaves
How I Make It
First, I cook the rice and keep it aside. I make sure the rice is not too soft because slightly separate grains work better for pulihora.
Then I soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the juice.
I heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they start popping, I add urad dal, chana dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves and a little hing.
Then I add chopped onions and green chillies and fry them until the onions become soft. I add ginger-garlic paste and fry it for another minute.
Now I add the chicken, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. I mix everything well, cover the pan and cook until the chicken is completely done.
Once the chicken is cooked, I add the tamarind extract and let it cook for a few minutes. I like to cook it until the tamarind mixture becomes slightly thick and the chicken absorbs all those flavours.
Finally, I add the cooked rice and gently mix everything together. I cook it on low flame for another 2–3 minutes so the rice absorbs the spicy and tangy chicken masala.
I switch off the flame and finish with some fresh coriander leaves.
That's it — my chicken pulihora is ready! 😋🍗🍚
The best part is that after sitting for 15–20 minutes, the flavours come together even better

Comments
Post a Comment